Wednesday, July 26, 2006

It keeps going, and going, and going...

Dog days of summer continue here in Alabama. As I sit and watch the news, I see the effects the heat is having across the country. There are brushfires, heatstrokes, and power outages. Even technology is feeling the effect because MySpace went down for a few hours this morning because of a power outage affecting its servers. Between these real events and having seen Superman Returns this summer, it has become more evident to me how much our country has become reliant on electricity. I know that seems like a given, but think about the technology that runs everything now. If our power source is out, our technology is crippled. What do you think about this? Are we too reliant on technology? Are we too spoiled with gizmos and luxuries that run on electricity?

6 comments:

Sheryl Nussbaum-Beach said...

Got you a MAE frisbee and had all the band sign it.

Email me your address and I will send it to you.

Sheryl

maxg3 said...

I think we have become extremely reliant, and if anything massively bad did happen, we would be majorly messed up. But at this point, there is nothing we can really do about it. We can't just go back living in the 1800's. But yeah, there's nothing we can really do about that at this point though. I've heard of little kids nowadays asking where you put the battery in a book. If we've gotten that bad then I guess something might have to change though..

RyanL5 said...

We have become much to reliable on technology. If we ever did lose all power than most of our soceity would be in great trouble. It would be in peoples best intrest to learn how to survive without electricity.

SpencerS5 said...

Ya, winter is better than summer definately.

AshleyB5 said...

I think that we are extremly relient on technology. I mean when the power goes out I just go to sleep now, because I can't seem to find anything to help me function through the lost of power. I mean without power how can I get ready in the morning, I wouldn't have my blow dryer. And my mom wouldn't be able to make my breakfast because the electric stove wouldn't turn on. Forget about school in the dark, I'd be asleep in about a minute. It's scary to know what our world might be like if we every loose our power....

BrookingP5 said...

I do think we are too reliant on technology in some aspects. Technology is a positive thing, but being reliant on things like video games is negative.