Thursday, January 26, 2006

Tricks of the Trade

As we begin research papers, there are a few sites that I think would be helpful as you research and write. Click on the following links to learn more. The only comments needed in response to this post include your experiences if you have ever used these or any additional links you think would be helpful. *** Hint: The "wiki" site is going to be very useful in the future.

1) Yahoo Briefcase: This is online storage for files. This is helpful if you save a file at school and you want access at home. Create an account here and store docs and pics.
2) del.icio.us: This is a bookmark/favorites keeper. Import your bookmarks from your home computer to this site. Have access to them (and other people's bookmarks as well) from anywhere.
3) Wikispace: You will receive an invitation to become a member and editor of this site. It will be a place to add sites and ideas for research papers.
4) Google Scholar: Here is what Google says about this specific search engine-
"Google Scholar provides a simple way to broadly search for scholarly literature. From one place, you can search across many disciplines and sources: peer-reviewed papers, theses, books, abstracts and articles, from academic publishers, professional societies, preprint repositories, universities and other scholarly organizations."

Happy Researching!!!

15 comments:

w00t n00bz! said...

Wikis are really useful, I think this is a very good idea. By the way, I might mention that Wikipedia, while useful and pretty well-contolled, should be taken with a grain of salt, due to the fact that the entries are made by users rather than employees.

MaxT6 said...

Golly Mrs. C! That sure is awful nice of you to give us all these useful tricks that will help us make our papers better than ever! I am really excited about doing this paper, it seems to me that we will have oodles and oodles of fun doing it!

jonathann6 said...

mrs. caldwell, you're amazing.... back in my day, we had to research stuff the old fashion way - surfing the internet.

Mitchell M 6 said...

So I think this research paper is the only thing I have to do this semester. Once it is over life will be good. I'm glad Max is so excited about this thing, he can do mine for me if he wants to.

saram3 said...

this sounds neat. hopefully these will be a good way to soften the blow of research papers. hoorah.

GigiR1 said...

Mrs. Caldwell- thanks so much for all your help with this upcoming research paper. I believe your hints and suggestions are really going to come in handy. Maybe this time around the dreaded research paper is not going to be so dreadful.

carolineb1 said...

First of all I want to thank you for taking the time to give us the names of several links. But I do have one question. Does information from these links qualify for one of our resources for out research paper? Most of my teachers in the past have stressed the fact that there are many b.s. websites offering up incorrect information and it just seems like an encyclopedia where you write in your definitions and comments is screaming false info. I could be wrong, but I just wasn’t sure if we could actually cite these in our papers.

stus6 said...

I hope these internet sites are helpful. I know they will be, but my concern is that i won't be able to use it. I am very computer illiterate.

ColeT3 said...

Thanks for the tips MRS. C. The yahoo briefcase is a whole lot easier than having to email it to yourself. The google scholar also looks like a much friendlier alternative to the AVL, which sucks.

maxg3 said...

danke seƱora. research papers stink like the far side of the school. seriously, it smells really bad over there.

SuzanneS5 said...

These sites seem easy to use and very helpful for the paper. Im really glad because disks are so unreliable. I am happy we can store our stuff there and not worry if it works or not.

MrsC said...

To Caroline and others,
The "wiki" site is not wikipedia. It using the same concept. It will become a collaborative site for all of you to become editors and contributors to a resource site for our papers. You are correct that wikipedia is not a completely reliable site because, of course, its contributors cannot be considered credible. Click on wikispaces... you will see.

philipr5 said...

Thanks for your help with the paper. Maybe this time writing this paper wont be as hard as it has been for me in the past few years.

Leeb3 said...

Wikipedia is very useful. I think this is a great idea. Yahoo briefcase is also very cool. I love your techniques Mrs. C.

DorieF5 said...

hey so i'm kinda confused about this wiki thing, like I wrote something and it's not up there and I don't really understand what the point it. it seems like another blog thing, but also it seems very helpful with putting up website and stuff. the only downer is that I don't think that many people are doing the same play as I am, but that's okay! but everything else is very helpful, and I think it's odd to say but I am excited (in a weird way) about the research paper! thanks for everything caldwell!!