Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Collective Unconcious

Jung believed that we all contribute to the collective unconcious. Here are some quotes from Carl Jung:

We cannot change anything unless we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses.
Carl Jung
As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
Carl Jung, "Memories, Dreams, Reflections", 1962
The least of things with a meaning is worth more in life than the greatest of things without it.
Carl Jung, "Modern Man in Search of a Soul"
(www.quoteland.com)

Jung used the following method to interpret dreams:

In order to interpret a dream, Jung used the process of amplification. In essence, amplification involves elaborating on a dream image in order to determine its significance through direct and indirect association. This is achieved by gaining an insight into the dreamer's:

(1) personal associations with the image (direct association). In order to discover the feelings evoked by a particular dream image or symbol. The meaning and significance of a particular word or image can vary greatly between individuals depending on the effect it has had on his/her life.
(2) The cultural significance of the image,
(3) as well as drawing parallels from the symbolism contained in folklore, history, fairytales, religion, mythology, rituals etc (archetypes).
(http://www.kevinwilson.info/dream/jung.php)

So here is the big question. Have you ever had a weird dream that you are willing to share (change the names to protect the innocent)? Write a summary of it and consult this online dream interpretation site to see if you can then interpret your dream. Come on... it will be fun!

1 comment:

J-Mike said...

well my most well known dream is an "Epic" one. To this day I can remember every detail of this dream because it was so bizarre and so different I could never forget it....
I had the dream when I was about 6-7 years old. Anyways here it goes...one day I was playing in my backyard and the next thing I know a family of american indians appears. They had a son about my age and they wanted to kill me and my family. I some how persuaded them not to and became friends with them...2 days go by in dream time...I was in the backyard playing with the little indian boy and he told me there would be a hug tribal battle in my backyard because the rest of the tribe wanted to kill us and the first family wanted to protect us. The rest of the dream was about the indian boy teaching me to be a warrior like him. During one of the training sessions the tribe appeared in the woods behind my house and began to charge to attack my house. LUCKILY I woke up just then!
according to the dream website I need to get a grip on my life and start to gain control of my destiny. The indians also stand for the human primitive beginnings and bring us back one with nature...that dream was weird