Friday, March 31, 2006

And I quote...

I like to peruse the comments, and I found one particularly interesting...

And I quote, "I think some of the prompts are really cheesy and elementary and doesn't sound like a senior english class project."

This is by no means the first negative comment I have had. But maybe it is the last straw for me. Not that defending my intelligence or experience as a senior English teacher is necessary, but I would like to remind you that I have been doing this for a while. I appreciate your candor and would like to invite you to seek information on what you will be doing in Freshman Composition next year. I found several sites in just a few seconds to indicate, as I knew already, that this project is relevant and necessary for your growth as a writer and a person.

Excerpts from what I found...


ASSIGNMENTS FOR FRESHMAN COMPOSITION Compiled by Elizabeth Brunner
While teaching English 114: Exposition, a freshman composition class at California Polytechnic State University, I used the following essay assignments.

Assignment one- Educational Autobiography
Ideas: Any topic related to your education or your writing is acceptable. For example, you could describe your favorite teacher, discuss your greatest academic accomplishment, tell a story about your award-winning fourth grade poem, use anecdotes to demonstrate how much you hate writing assignments, explain how you panic the night before a research paper is due, or explore your first day in college.

Assignment two- Letter of Admiration
Ideas: Any letter of love, friendship, admiration, or gratitude is acceptable. Be creative. You could write to a relative, friend, sweetheart, celebrity, or fictional character. For example, you might create an anniversary letter for your future spouse ­- dated in the year 2026, a love letter between Romeo and Juliet or Mickey and Minnie Mouse…

And on another site...

John Corbelly- Los Angeles Harbor College- Freshman Comp
Assignment one-
Write a focused personal-experience essay that looks at some habit (or obsession) that characterizes you or a friend or a member of your family; you may also show how this exhibits a behavior or value shared by many Americans (or, if you are not a native-born American, you may show how this is typical of your native country); in any case, you will need to provide ACTUAL experiences, personal (or personally-observed) examples…

So for all of you that have other complaints and thoughts about the next few weeks of your life in this class... if you don't have something constructive to say---------- don't say it on here. Complaints are valid if they are constructive and provide a possible solution.

This a NO WHINING ZONE!

23 comments:

Drewf3 said...

I have never found this to be elemetary, tedious maybe, but not elementary. A lot of the time I find it interesting to see what other people think about topics. Keep it up Aunt B, I know it will have an impact on us in college.

calliek3 said...

Mrs. Caldwell I understand why you are upset. That was a low blow. I think some people do not really think before they say things. I think we are all just lazy and any project that requires work we are going to complain about. Most of us have already gotten into college so the motive to do anything is very little. It is not just your class that we complain but all of our others.

saram3 said...

i agree with you...that was pretty bad to bash you like that on the internet. i think it's good that you are making us work with technology because that's the direction we're moving in with education. also, it's good that we're doing personal stuff like college. that's what high school is for, right? right.

SamM5 said...

I don't have any negative comments; while it does seem like a lot of work, i think the project itself is a great idea and many of the specific prompts have a great deal of depth. Despite the amount of work, I look forward to doing it and having a detailed reminder of my childhood through my high school years.

MrsC said...

A very sincere apology was submitted to me and I really appreciate it. I realize that there was no malice in the motivation for the prompt, but I hope we are all reminded that we should be aware of the kinds of words used when on the blog.

LibbyB6 said...

I truly believe that your comments are not cheesy. I think that the ones this week are truly challenging. I do realize that they are for bonus, but good job!! I am very ready for the upcoming challenges this nine weeks! Love ya much B!! Love Libs!!

w00t n00bz! said...

Oh, snap! They done dissed our Brandi. We still love you, and I muchly appreciate all the Englishified stuff you done tried to get learned on us. Thankee much!

GigiR1 said...

In all honesty, I'm excited to see the final products of our memory books and video diaries. I know a lot of us are whining about having to do them because everyone now seems to be pretty much giving up on school, but I think its going to be cool to look back on them years from now. The work really isnt that much nor hard to do. It's just writing down our memories.

jonathann6 said...

I like it. I like showing my own opinions and seeing the opinions of other people. Good job B-Cal and keep it up.

JoanneL1 said...

I think the exact opposite. It is way too hard. Two page minimum! Sorry this is my last two cents.

AbbyW5 said...

I don't think this is an elementary project. Some of the requirements for the chapters seem a little too detailed and strict, but overall the final project will be cool. Also, I think the whining and complaining just comes from an overall bad case of senoritis.

KatherineK5 said...

I definitely see the point to this project, and I think I'm going to really enjoy doing it. I know it may be a lot of work to do, but I really think it is important to reflect back on our lives before we take this huge step. I like the idea of writing about various events in our lives because it will help us to see where we have come from, and how many places we still have yet to go.

Rachaelw5 said...

I think this project is far from elementary. I don't think that elementary kids would be writing nine essays about their lives and compiling them into a memory book. I am very excited about the project. I think it will be good for all the seniors to reflect on their lives and think about what is to come in the future.

ColeT3 said...

mrs. c, i don't think blogspot is cheesy. The memory book project is simply an oppurtunity to reflect on the first 18 or so years of our lives. However, the goofy music that automatically plays everytime you open this site is juvenile, amateur, or whatever you want to call it.

AshtonH1 said...

I find this sight to be very helpful and insightful. When I blog I look to see how others view things in your class and their ideas about the current class topic. Although this is mandatory, I see no reason why it is elementary in any way. Taking cheapshots at an English teacher is not only rude and low, it proves that nothing will ever be satisfactory. The only elementary aspect of this blogspot is posting mean statements that move away from intellectual discussion and focus on unwarranted criticism.

Leeb3 said...

Mrs. C, this project requires too much time. It may not be elementary, but I don't like projects period. We should have more bonus opportunities too. Anyway, I think my research paper should get an A even if it was only 4 pages. I shortened it to avoid too much repetition and boredom that would come with a 6 page paper.

DorieF5 said...

Mrs. Caldwell, I think that this is going to be a great project. I think it is very important that we reflect back on our lives and get to know and understand ourselves a little bit better before we go to college. I think that we are going to learn a lot about ourselves and I think this is going to help us in the future. Personally, I think who ever said that is just lazy, and fine if he doesn't want to do it then dont, but I think that this is a lot better than doing school work. I know that this project is going to be a big success and I'm really excited about it, and I think that most people are. You are doing a great job and don't let any person discourage you! talk to you tomorrow!

MrsC said...

For the record... the comment was regarding the Senior Memory Book and not the Blog. But special thanks to those who defended the Blog.

I am not worried about this comment anymore. I am excited to see what happens with the projects and this Blog (even if you are second semester seniors!).

ally irwin said...

Mrs. Caldwell I really don't think the person that said that comment had any intentions of hurting your feelings. I do believe the individual probably was not thinking about what he or she was writing. I definitely do not find your work agenda juvenile and I think you have done a fine job preparing us for our english freshman year in college.

walkerd3 said...

Mrs. Caldewell I see why you are upset but you are always going to receive negative comments. There are just some students that do not want to do any work and you just have to deal with it I guess. I mean you gave out the right for students to post postive and negative quotes so its hard to see why you are so upset. Although I think the Memory book is very useful because it is something we can look back on when we are adults.

Mitchell M 6 said...

Since this is the blog I don't have to write 3 sentences for I don't have a problem being forced to be constructive. I guess it is nice to look back over your life before we graduate although it recquires a lot of work.

charlotteg3 said...

I do not think that this project is elementary at all. After doing chapters 1 and 2 i realized that this project is going to be difficult because it requires a lot of description and thinking...i know that we will be able to use it next year.

CaitlinW3 said...

If reflecting on a passage or responding to a question is elementary I highly advise this person not to go into public relations or work with people at all. That type of attitude only leaves well... some type of math. I enjoy our blog and know it will only benefit us for future purposes.