Tuesday, March 28, 2006
Romanticism- Not so lovely!
Years: 1798 – 1832
*human knowledge consists of impressions and ideas formed in the individual’s mind
* introduction of gothic elements and terror/horror stories and novels
* in nature one can find comfort and peace that the man-made urbanized towns and factory environments cannot offer
* lyrical ballads
* evil attributed to society not to human nature
* human beings are basically good
* movement of protest: a desire for personal freedom
* children seen as hapless victims of poverty and exploitation
After perusing this list of attributes related to the Romantic period in British literature, think of a song or artist today that would fit perfectly into this era. If you name a song, please put artist and a snippet (not the whole song) of the lyrics. If you name an artist, give an example of his/her work and explain why he/she fits.